We’ve been following the two labels ICU Audio & InnaMind Recordings for a while now. So when we discovered they’d both signed releases from Anex we knew he’d be a talent worth following. We were blown away when we heard one of his most recent uploads to his SoundCloud account (if you’ve not checked ‘The Sixth' yet get on it!), so grabbed him for an interview with MakeItGood and FKOF. His mix does not disappoint – and the play count in the short time it's been online reflects that! In the mean time, follow Jon on Facebook and Soundcloud.
Who is Anex?
I’m Jon Boote, a 19 year old dubstep producer from Nottingham.
What software do you use to produce your tracks?
I use Reason 5 rewired into Logic!
What got you into mixing and producing dubstep? What’s your style - big, dark basslines or as filthy as possible?
I’ve been into dubstep and DnB for ages now, and I used to collect a lot of DnB on vinyl. I started producing when I was 17; mostly messing around with DnB and such. Around the start of this year, I got into producing dubstep in a serious way and since then I feel I’ve gone from strength to strength. As for my style, I love the dark, rolling basslines – but I don’t think anyone can deny the occasional bit of filth!
How long have you producing and DJing? Turntables or CDJs?
For about 2 years now. I started on vinyl but when I was starting to get more gigs I made the switch to CDJs as it was cheaper for me. I’m still in love with vinyl though, it’s been an obsession of mine since way before I got into mixing.
You’re part of the ICU Audio outfit; how did that relationship come about?
I’ve always been a big respecter of what they do. One day I started following N-Dread on SoundCloud, noticed he had AIM, and decided to send a couple of tunes over to him. He loved them, and since then I’ve gradually built up a friendship with all of the lads – all of whom are the soundest people, and some of the best musicians I have ever come across!
What’s been your best gig and if you could DJ alongside anyone, who would it be?
I supported Dirtyphonics a few months back for my residency spot at a night called Louder in Nottingham. I loved that! I would love to be on same lineup as someone like Youngsta or Icicle, but we’ll just see what happens in the near future!
Who are your top 5 dubstep producers at the moment; and why?
Just 5?! Its so difficult, there are so many producers that are doing it for me.. I apologise to anyone I haven’t mentioned!
- eleven8 first of all, as he’s a downright amazing producer, but also a sound fella. Everyone should check him out! Keep an eye out for his forthcoming 12” releases…
- My Nu Leng are up there among my favourites, they have so many ideas for tunes, and I love how different each of their creations is! They never produce the same track twice and I love that.
- Congi absolutely HAVE to be checked out by everyone. They’re a duo from Nottingham, and their tunes are downright stupid. They’ve got an album’s worth of tunes already, and it keeps growing. Keep an eye out for a tune of theirs called “The Hidden Cove” which I played guitar for.
- Pheral are a duo from Belgium who are producing the weightiest tunes going at the moment. I feel lucky that they’re sending me tunes, because each one of them is a stinker!
- Last, but not least, Fable from Nottingham. One of my best friends, and also one of the most talented guys in Notts. He’s had an amazing 2011 so far, playing in Canada, getting a tune out on vinyl… You need to keep a beady eye on this fella, he’s just going to go up and up.
What does the future hold for dubstep - where do you see the genre going?
Who can say? I honestly don’t know, all I know is that for now, things are looking good for the underground side of the genre. There’s so much talent here and everyone’s friends too. It’s like a family vibe all round!
Any forthcoming releases we can look forward to?
‘Counter It' and 'Kinetic' come out as some point on Soulstep Records, I’m not entirely sure on the date though. ‘Delusions' came out on the 21st, the first release on ICU:Audio, backed with 'Rowl - Resolution'. Check out the ICU:Audio Wordpress for more information. Will be released digitally through junodownload!
Have you got any advice to upcoming DJs/ Producers?
The best advice I can give anyone is that music is a people business, so talk to people. Make the connections early and it will set you in good stead for your career. Also, do whatever makes you happy. If you have to TRY and produce a tune, it’s probably not going to work for you, so just find something you find easy. It’s more than likely the right thing for you. I would just quickly like to say a huge thank you to everyone whose shown me support over the past year, I feel I’ve gained so much publicity thank to all of my friends and fellow producers.
You know a mix is going to be superb when it includes tracks from Kryptic Minds, Tallan, Catacombs, Perverse, SP:MC & LX One, Percept and a loads more. My jaw almost dropped the first time I listened to Anex’s guest mix for MakeItGood and FatKidOnFire all the way through – get it on the stereo and you’ll know what I mean…
Anex x FatKidOnFire mix by FatKidOnFire
1. Catacombs & Knowledge – Old Town [Dub]
2. Kahn – Way Mi Defend [Box Clever]
3. Perverse – Cerberus [Dub]
4. Tallan – Cirrus [Dub]
5. Occult – Assassins [Dub]
6. Pheral – Hatchway [Dub]
7. Anex – Counter It [Soulstep]
8. SP:MC & LX One – Hunted [Tempa]
9. Pheral – Untitled [Dub]
10. Anex – Delusions [ICU:Audio]
11. Fable – Dark Cubes [Dub]
12. Congi – Mya [Dub]
13. Versa & Rowl – Backwards Never [Dub]
14. Percept – Corrupt [Innamind]
15. G-A & Fable – Fear [Play No Games]
16. Kryptic Minds – Six Degrees [Swamp81]
17. Anex – Demonise [Innamind]