The first post for 2011 in our makeitgood x FatKidOnFire features is with KANEDUBSTEP. We got in contact to see if he’d fancy doing an interview and a mix and luckily for us (and you guys) he was down. Peep the interview below and the stupendously amazing mix Sam’s done us. It’s definitely a good way to see the big 01/01/2011 in. Find KANEDUBSTEP on Myspace, Facebook and Twitter.
1. How long have you been producing music?
I’ve been producing for 4 years now. I started out started out making DnB when I was 16 - that’s all now been lost in time. I’ve been writing music and small classical excerpts and arranging music since I was 13.
2. What got you into producing dubstep?
The first time I got into a club I was casually minding my own business, having a bit of a shuffle next to the speaker, and all of a sudden Caspa’s “Where’s My Money” dropped and I have literally never been more overwhelmed by anything in my life. I just knew it was the future there and then!
3. What software do you use to produce your tracks?
Logic Pro, Reason 4 with audio damage, pluggo and Michael Norris plug-ins, along with Circle, Massive and pluggo VSTs.
4. How are you getting out in the industry?
I’ve recently joined the ‘Sunshine HQ/ Voodoo Toddler’ Publishers team, who have worked with names such as Sigur Ros and Radiohead. They also currently work with people such as Tim Bradshaw (who co-wrote ‘White Ladder’ with David Gray). The company is incredible and has giving me some incredible official remixes for bands such as ‘Four Day Hombre’ and the grime artists ‘Stylah’ & ‘Smiler’. I also work closely with my label ‘Lung- Filler Records’ who produce some incredible music.
5. Turntables or CDJs?
Both. [KANEDUBSTEP will be appearing on the club/ gig circuit at the start of 2011 so stay locked on the Facebook page and his Myspace for live dates]
6. Do you think you will stick to producing dubstep, or do you think you will mix it up and start producing other genres?
I have a couple of drumstep tunes lined up for the future, maybe go back to some DnB as well, FKOKing love the Lifted label.. My mate and I had the pleasure of meeting John (Spor) after a gig in Newcastle. His work is phenomenaaal. Massive inspiration. Also the Lifted label introduced me to the DaVIP & Encode tune: ‘Vamanos’, in one of their podcasts which blew me away. I’m loving the glitch and fantastically beautiful noises of artists such as ‘Eskamon’ and ‘Flying Lotus’ at the minute.
7. Any new releases we can look forward to?
The remixes have potential for 12” pressing so I’m looking for the perfect label to release them with. I’ve also done remixes of DivKid’s tracks ‘Kablam‘ & ‘Mumbai’, available on Beatport now and have an E.P coming out January 27th entitled ‘Seizure‘ with my label. The four tracks on the E.P mean so much to me and all have a meaning or inspiration behind them. The track ‘Sinensis’, that I co-write with close friend and prolific producer James Budzak, is FKOFing brutal.
8. Any advice to upcoming producers/ Djs?
The advice I would give is to literally find a gap in the industry and blast it, just solidly blast it. The amount of bedroom producers these days is outstanding, especially with the increasing availability of technology to almost every household; everyone takes an interest in producing music. You’ll need to take the time to sit down and automate and tweak and make tiny fractional changes to create a perfect sound or modulation. This, accompanied with patience, will be everything you need. As you progress, upgrade your plug ins and VSTs and before you know it you’ll be shocked by your own sound. Always having the right inspiration and constantly going out, getting FKOFed and listening to some incredible electronic music doesn’t hurt either.
Sam’s done us proud with our latest exclusive mixtape, it’s 110% loaded with his own massive tracks and a few others from huge producers. Get the mix on the stereo, get the volume up and get skanking for 2011.
1. Four Day Hombre - The First Word Is The Hardest (KANEDUBSTEP remix)
2. STYLAH Ft. Smiler - KILLA (KANEDUBSTEP remix)
3. KANEDUBSTEP & Budzak - Sinensis
4. Skrillex - Scary Monsters & Nice Sprites (NOISIA remix)
5. KANEDUBSTEP - No Time
6. DivKid - Mumbai (KANEDUBSTEP remix)
7. KANEDUBSTEP - Always Will (The Pyschotic Murmur)
8. KANEDUBSTEP - Seizure
9. KANEDUBSTEP - Andromeda
10. The Popes Ft. Shane Mcgowan - Bastards (KANEDUBSTEP remix)
11. DivKid - Kablam (KANEDUBSTEP remix)
12. Bearsuit - When Will I Be Queen? (KANEDUBSTEP remix)
13. Twist - Vortex
14. KANEDUBSTEP & Budzak - Jabba
15. Felix Da Housecat - Kick Drum (Propatingz remix)
16. Professor Green - Jungle (KANEDUBSTEP remix)