Who is Gamma?
Gamma is Nathan Gamlin, a 23-year-old producer and DJ from Bristol.
What got you into mixing and producing dubstep? How would you describe your production style?
Well I was into band-oriented music when I was young (ranging from metal, indie and rock) but I got into some drum and bass after going to a youth club that Roni Size was involved with. Just before uni, I was getting more and more into DnB and deeper into the jump up side of things – stuff like Hazard, Generation Dub and DJ Pleasure. A friend showed me some Caspa and Rusko tunes and then I got pulled into dubstep pretty quickly; finding the deeper sound about 3 years ago. I don’t know how to explain my sound really. Deep and dark I guess, I would like to think I have some kind of cinematic kind of sound too. Still evolving I guess though!
How long have you both been producing and DJing?
I got my decks about 4 years ago and started producing 2 years after that. DJing has taken the back seat after I moved back home from uni and I now focus much more on producing.
How do you go about building your tunes? Is there a process behind each one? What software do you use?
I’ve always used Reason (until about 2 months ago anyway) when I started rewiring into Logic… I’ve definitely seen the light now! I generally go beat first, probably due to playing drums through my teenage years… Then pads and intro and by then I have a pretty good idea what I want the tune to sound like.
Turntables or CDJs for when you play out?
I would always say turntables just for the feel of vinyl but for ease and saving money I would go CDJs.
What’s been your best gig and if you could DJ alongside anyone, who would it be?
Probably any of the early RUN nights at Native. So much fun and a sick line up every Tuesday with residents like Dminds, Clipz and TC! I can still remember when TC first dropped the Caspa remix of ‘Where’s My Money’… At that point I think everyone was pretty speechless! Probably choose someone like DJ Shadow or someone… Someone who does something different!
Who are your top 5 dubstep producers at the moment; and why? Any labels you’re feeling?
In no particular order…
- Kryptic Minds – Just amazing!
- Icicle – Sick tunes, dark but still have amazing hooks!
- Dj Madd – every release is stunning!
- Soap Dodgers – intense synths!
- Distance – Don’t need to explain!
What’s the future of dubstep - where do you see the genre going? Do you think the ‘deep and dark’ side of things has been overdone yet? If so, what’s next?
Not sure where it’s going to be honest… I think there will always be a core group in all areas whether it’s tear out, deep stuff or that future dubstep stuff… It definitely has longevity and I don’t think it’s overdone. It will just evolve and change, people just need to remember to do their own thing as much as they can!
Any forthcoming releases we can look forward to?
No releases… Yet!
Tell us about your MIG x FKOF mix…
Well initially, I wanted to get some drum and bass in there but then decided that I would just do a mix of the sound that I think I kind of fit into and also get a few of my friends in it too! I just grabbed tunes I liked at that point and mixed it - most of the selection are in my top tunes of this year!
Have you got any advice to upcoming DJs/ producers looking to get their music heard or signed?
Well, seeing as that is what I need to focus on I’m not too sure… Be confident in what you do I guess. And people will notice!
3 people (dead or alive) you’d go for a beer with (and why)?
This one took a while…
- Anyone from the Aeroplane films
- Dj Die. and this is hard…
- Run DMC. I bet they knew how to party!
Best venue/ club night in Bristol for dubstep/ bass music?
Motion just because the huge nights and massive line ups they have. Check out the in:motion series, big nights every Friday and Saturday from October until New Year!
Best dubstep track ever produced?
Hard one…. D1’s ‘Dubstep Warz’ just because it got me into the darker stuff.
Gamma’s MIG x FKOF mix is a pretty awesome selection of dubs and releases. 23 tracks from a serious selection of established and upcoming producers - you can’t really go wrong with that! Free download as always, so stream or grab. It’s definitely a keeper!
Click to DOWNLOAD
1. Anex - Delusions (Demon Remix) - [ICU Audio]
2. Gamma- Defiance [dub]
3. Soap Dodgers - Unleashed [Wheel & Deal]
4. J:Kenzo - Invaderz [Tempa]
5. Catacombs & Knowledge -Tactics [Free]
6. Gantz & Collision - Chant [Tribe 12]
7. Kryptic Minds - Idiom [Osiris Music]
8. Enigma Dubz - Stagnant [Enigma Dubz]
9. Truth - Dreams [Tempa]
10. Gamma - Spies [dub]
11. Dioxin One - Nobody Get Hot [Free]
12. Zoobi - Dont Trust Anyone [Soulstep]
13. Freeze & LX One - Forseen [Osiris Music]
14. Biome - Persepolis [Macabre Unit Digital]
15. Vicious Circle - Not Afraid [Crunch Recordings]
16. Icicle - Together in Dust [Shogun]
17. Catacombs & Knowledge - Out Of Focus [Macabre Unit Digital]
18. Dcult - Inner Peace [Macabre Unit Digital]
19. Dyssomnia & Skeptix - Empire [dub]
20. Icicle - Need a Job [Shogun]
21. Congi & Gantz - Warrior [Innamind Recordings]
22. Goth-Trad - Seeker [Deep Medi Musik]
23. Reamz - Born Of A Sin [dub]